Saturday, April 28, 2007

Meta-list of the GOAT25 rap album lists

I just realized a great thing about this project from the Straight Bangin guy who sparked this list-mania on the rap nerd (nerd meant in a good way) internets. Traditionally, we look to the media for a list, such as the "Source 5 Mic" list. But this rap nerd approach is much better, since:

1 The "wisdom of crowd" effect: the collective opinion of many rap nerds should be superior to a random "expert" group or individual from a magazine. I think in judging music this is definitely the case, since I think it's hard to be 100% objective when judging music, especially rap music. The age, region, lifestyle, media one consumes, etc may affect one's opinion. Hence getting a crowd opinion should be more objective.

2 Conflict of interest: the media is selling what they're rating. In contrast, rap fans have no material gain to be had in big-upping their favorite albums. In fact, at least for me, it felt altruistic to do my list, as I want others to stop sleeping on what I deem to be classics.

My meta-list of the internets' GOAT25 lists, culled from RYM & a few blog posts' comments sections. I might use this for reference for discovering highly-rated albums that I've slept on:
Analog Giant
Angry Citizen
Belize
Brad King
Brooklyn Bodega
Chris PC
Dallas Penn
Davide Wilson
Biochemical Slang
Byron Crawford
Eff Bombs
El Gringo Colombiano
Flood Watch Music
Gorilla Vs Bear
GOZ
I Fux
Imarevenant
Jackpirat
Jamie Radford
Just Sayin 2000
Mar10Segovia
Metro
Mic G
My Bleeding Fingertips
Noz
Out Of Kilter
Poisonous Paragraphs
Searching For My Swagger
Sensitive Cyborg
Slushy Gutter
Start Snitchin
Straight Bangin
Stupid Boy
Until The Train Stops (& #26-50)
Wake Your Daughter Up
The Passion of The Weiss (& a 2nd post for #26-50 as well as a sample mp3 for each album)

3 comments:

I Fux said...

Lovely Dude.......I was hoping somebody Straight bangin' or whatever would put a link to most Hip-Hop Bloggers List's but You were kind enough to do so......Now look you said we can look at many list's and see which ones I slept on. 1

mista dobalina said...

here's a few more:
Berkely Place
Bol
8 Million Stories
Fresh Cherries from Yakima
From the Bricks
20/20 Proof
Audio Deficit Disorder

elgringocolombiano said...

^thx Dobalina